Salt Lake City Temple

Salt Lake City Temple

Monday, June 13, 2016

Sacrament Meeting Talk

Hey! Things are still going pretty great out here! It is really hot, but I love it. Wow that is pretty crazy!! There is never a dull week for you it sounds like ha. That is really exciting about Ryan and Katie!! They are getting married in September then?

I had a pretty crazy experience yesterday. I had to speak in sacrament meeting, and I wasn't too excited about that. The last few weeks I have felt strongly to share my story of how I got out here. I almost got up fast Sunday, but chickened out at the end. Then I got asked that day to speak next week, so I knew that it was the time. I haven't told anyone yet out here.  I got to choose the subject and felt like speaking about humility since I've been studying it for a little while, and it's so important. I shared some scriptures and things from preach my gospel. I also shared the story about coyote gulch when we had to make that last big hard climb. I related it to how all we can do is try and trust His way will work better than our way. We ended up just freezing on the wall, and Blaine was able to take our packs, and use ropes to help us. I just related it to how God helps us through any trials, as long as we are relying on him. Then at the end I said, "I was going to share an experience where trusting in gods way over mine has changed my life."  I struggled to speak through this part. I don't know why it's tough for me, but it is. It was tough to get through it. I told them a small version of where I was, and how I got out here. I remember talking about that first day in Salt Lake where I sang hymns for the first time and said a prayer out loud in front of a group of people for the first time ever, and I said that it wasn't me.

I just said always remember that God prepares a way for you. To trust him in your trials and commandments that he has given you. I wasn't able to go into a lot of detail, but the spirit was there. At the end is when I realized why I shared that. There were a lot of people who came up to me, but there were a few that stuck out. There was a lady who came up to me sobbing saying that the kids in front of her were crying because they have struggled with speaking as well. She said that I bring them hope, and am an influence. Then another lady came up to me barely able to speak saying that she needed that. Her little girl struggles with social anxiety, and it gave her hope that it will work out, and she will be able to serve a mission as well.  It was an amazing experience. I should have acted on those promptings to share my testimony the week before, but I was lucky to get the opportunity the week after, and I would do it over again if it meant just bringing a glimmer of hope to someone. It is amazing how much I am being blessed out here.

We were able to have a lot of investigators at church again. The Evans, Earls, and Watts came. It was quite the turnout. They are all doing really great. Rusty Evans is still struggling to gain a testimony if he knows these things are true. He feels like they could be, but he doesn't know yet he says. He is sincere though. We were also able to stop in on Olm again. We went onto Google and translated a note to him in Nepali. About who we are, and how the gospel can change his life. He was really happy about the effort we put into him. He still has lots of potential. Things are still great, and I know that this is where I need to be. I love everything about this work and the gospel. I keep improving each day. Thanks for all that you do.
Elder Cannon

Here are some pictures from our Zone conference and activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment